Kappa Lambda History

Kappa Lambda Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. was founded on June 9, 1923 in Greensboro by Brother Stansback of Wilson, North Carolina. The Charter members of Kappa Lambda Chapter were:

Brother F. L. Merry – President
Brother F. D. Bluford – Vice President
Brother J. B. Matthews – Secretary
Brother D. K. Cherry – Chaplain
Brothers Davis
Brother Lanier
Brother Giles

Since its inception Kappa Lambda has been committed to the struggle for equality, justice, and civil rights in our city, state, and country. From fighting Jim Crow laws of the 1920’s and 30’s, to the war effort in the 1940’s, to voting rights in the 1950’s, to the sit-ins in the 1960’s, to equal opportunity and equal protection of the laws in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, to the erection of the M L. King, Jr. Memorial at the turn of the century, Kappa Lambda Chapter has been at the forefront for social change and justice.

Today, Kappa Lambda fully endorses and participates in all of the National Programs of the Fraternity including, Go-to-High School Go- to-College, A Voteless People is a Hopeless People, Project Alpha, Leadership Development, and Boy Scouts. At the local level, Kappa Lambda supports the Salvation Army Ring the Bell Program, March of Dimes, Big Brothers Big Sisters, and many other initiatives designed for the uplift of humanity. Kappa Lambda also awards seven $1,000.00 scholarships yearly to promising and deserving students in the Guilford County community. To the men of Kappa Lambda, “First of All, Servants of All, We shall transcend All” is more than a motto, it is our way of life.